Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, 53, India’s most distinctive investor with a net worth of more than USD 1 billion. He is one of the most famous and respected equity investors in India and manages his own portfolio as a partner in his asset management firm, Rare Enterprises.
About Rakesh JhunJhunwala
Son of an income tax officer, he started trading in stocks while in Sydenham college and plunged into investing as a full time profession soon after completing his education.
He started his career with $100 in 1985 when the BSE Sensex was at 150. He made his first big profit of Rs 0.5 million in 1986 when he sold 5,000 shares of Tata Tea at a price of Rs 143 which he had purchased for Rs 43 a share just 3 months ago. He made his first million in an iron ore mining company Sesa Goa whose shares he bought at Rs 27 and sold at Rs 1,400.
His privately owned stock trading firm Rare Enterprises, derives name from first two initials of his name and wife Rekha’s name.
Stocks held by Rakesh JhunJhunwala, Rekha JhunJhunwala or Rare Enterprises Equity
See below the latest stocks held by Mr Jhunjhunwala / Rekha Jhunjhunwala
|Company||%Holding||Shares (in Lakhs)||Rs Crore|
|Titan Company Ltd.||5.53||491||4,758|
|Federal Bank Ltd.||3.08||603||294|
|Fortis Healthcare Ltd.||2.65||200||254|
|GMR Infrastructure Ltd.||1.41||850||145|
|Delta Corp Ltd.||7.38||200||138|
|Jubilant Life Sciences||1.57||25||101|
|Karur Vysya Bank||4.16||332||97|
|Agro Tech Foods||7.09||17||83|
|TV18 Broadcast Ltd.||2.31||396||77|
|Ion Exchange (India)||5.46||8||55|
|Edelweiss Financial Services||1.07||100||40|
|Geojit Financial Services||7.57||180||39|
|Dewan Housing Finance||3.19||100||13|
|Prozone Intu Properties||2.06||32||3|
|The Mandhana Retail Ventures||12.74||28||3|
|Sterling Holiday Financial Services||3.48||31||1|
Recent Buy / Sell
See what Jhunjhunwala bought / sold in June 2018 qtr
|Bught / Sold||Share||Previous||Current|
|Bought||Lupin – 1 lakh fresh shares||1.9%||2%|
|Bought||J P Associates – bought 2 crore shares||1.19%||1.98%|
|Bought||Dish Tv – 1.3 crore shares||0||0.71%|
|No change||Orient Cement, Aptech, Edelweiss Financial Services, Man Infra Construction, MCX, Crisil, Firstsource Solutions, Geojit Financial Services, Ion Exchange, Rallis India and VIP Industries.|
Recently , he also bought shares in
|Oct-13||DHFL||25 lakh||135.32||Rs 33.83 crore|
|Jan-14||Radico Khaitan||685112||167||Rs 11.5 crores|
|Mar-14||HT Media||15 lakh||71.25||RS 11 crore|
|Apr-14||Prakash Industries||25 lakh||59||Rs 14.75 crores|
|Apr-14||Prakash Industries||7.5 lakh||68|
|May-14||Orient Cement||Rs 9 crores|
|Jun-14||Edelweiss capital||1 crore||55|
||664||Rs 66 crores|
|Jul-14||MCX||5 lakh||735||Rs 36 crores|
Details of Transactions done by Mr JhunJhunwala
- Aug 30 2018 – DLF says that Rakesh Jhunjhunwala holds 0.67% (1.19 crore) shares in DLF (link)
- In an interview, Jhunjhunwala told CNBC-TV18 that one of his favourite stock is Tata Steel. He is also bullish on lenders such as ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank.
- June 13 2018 – Dish TV – Rare Enterprises bought 1.30 crore shares (0.71 % stake) @ Rs 71.30
- Oct 2013 – DHFL – Bought 25 lakh shares Rs 135.32 (total Rs 33.83 crore)
- Jan 2014 – Radico Khaitan – Bought 685,112 shares (0.5 % ) @ Rs 167 ( total Rs 11.5 crores)
- March 2014 – HT Media – 15 lakh shares @ 71.25 – Rs 11 crore Investment
- 4 – April 2014 – Prakash Industries – bought 25,00,000 shares @ 59 (approx Rs 14.75 crores for 1.85% stake) – Read News
- 23-April -2014 – Prakash Industries – bought 7.5 lakh shares @ 68 Read News
- April 2014 – Escorts & Rallis – JhunJhunwala hikes stakes in these companies – Read news
May 2014 – In a recent Interview, RJ told that he likes following shares
- Aurobindo Pharma
- United Spirits
- HPCL, BPCL, Coal India ( for short – medium term)
- Tata Motors
- 60% of portfolio is Titan, Lupin , CRISIL
- 15-May -2014 Orient Cement – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala invests Rs 9 crores . Read News
- 13-June-2014 – Edelweiss capital – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala bought 1 crore shares @ Rs 55 Read News
- June 2014 – 4 Stocks which Rakesh JhunJhunwala likes. Read the article.
- 08-Jul-2014 – MCX – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala bought 2% stake in MCX @ Rs 664 per share ( Rs 66 cores) . Read Details
- 15-Jul-2014 – MCX – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala bought 5 lakh shares of MCX @ Rs 735 per share ( Rs 36 cores) . Read Details
- 14-Nov-14 Jhunjhunwala increased his stake in NCC recently through the open market and by subscribing to the rights issue.He has acquired four crore shares by subscribing to the rights issue and bought 6.5 lakh shares through the open market on October 31. He held 11.85% stake as on September 30, 2014 and with this purchase, his stake has risen to 12.78%.
- 28-Nov-2014 – SpiceJet – Rakesh Jhunjunwala picks up 1.4% stake in Spicejet @ average price of Rs 17.88 . Read more
- 28-Dec-2014 – Following are top 7 Stocks on which Rakesh JhunJhunwala is betting – Titan Company, United Spirits, Lupin, MCX, Crisil, Rallis India. He also like Housing Finance Companies.
- 30-Jan-2015 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala buys additional 625,000 shares in Geojit BNP Paribas Financial Services @ Rs 51.95 (Read details)
- 30-Jan-2015 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala buys 30 lakh shares in Man Infra @ Rs 36 (Read details)
- 02-Feb -2015 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala buys additional 12.5 lakh shares in Delta Corp @ Rs 91.75 (Read details)
- 11-Feb-2015 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala invests in Fortis Healthcare 34 lakh shares @Rs 119 (Read news)
- 7-April-2015 – RJ raised its stake in ESCORTS by 2.67%
- May 2015 – Rakesh JhunJhunwala is at No. 1 Public shareholder (as per CNBC TV report) – Read News
- Oct 2015 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala picked up 1.05 % stake in Jet Airways for Rs 50.52 crore @ Rs 422.76 per share. Read Details
- April 2016 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala has invested Rs 25 crores in Next Mediaworks ( the holding company of Next Radio that operates FM channels under the brand name of “Radio One”)
- Aug 2016 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala bought 7 lakh shares of Aptech @ Rs 92
Sep 2016 – Rakesh & Rekha Jhunjhunwala bought more shares of Aptech (2.5 lakh & 5 lakh) @ Rs 143 & Rs 155. Aptech announced an entry into pre-school segment.
Sep 2016 – Rakesh Jhunjhunwala backed company – John Energy is planning for its IPO. RJ holds 19% in this company.
- Jhunjhunwala was allocated shares for Rs 27 crore in ICICI Prudential IPO.
- 17th Nov 2016 – RJ purchased additional 12.50 lakh shares of Delta Corp @ Rs 106 per share
- Dec 2016 – Insync Capital Partners (where Rakesh Jhunjhunwala is director) bought 2.95 lakh shares of Datamatics Global @Rs 102 per share. Some of the other investments of Insync Capital include Kirloskar Brothers, Adlabs Entertainment and Tourism Finance CorporationBSE 0.00 %. In October, the company bought 4.25 lakh shares of Tourism Finance Corporation. In September, it bought 3.5 lakh shares of Adlabs Entertainment.
- 16 Dec 2016: Rakesh Jhunjhunwala buys 12.74% in Mandhana Retail Ventures that holds licences to manufacture and sell Salman Khan’s Being Human brand of clothing and fashion accessories.
- 15 Feb 2017 – RJ sold 42.3 lakh shares of Intellect Design Arena @ Rs 120
Read my other post – Top Large Cap, Mid Cap & Small Cap Stock Recommendations (for Medium to Long term)
Also Read – Top Indian Stocks with high FII Holdings