With strong mandate to the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the new government can take bold economic steps without any strong opposition.
According to the brokerages, following the strong recent run up, valuations in the India equity market are not cheap and, hence, the market could consolidate in the near term. On the other hand, the strong developmental focus of the new government should lead to longer-term appreciation of the market.
- Corporates with improving asset utilisation (Tata Steel, Hindalco);
- Corporates with reducing balance sheet leverage (Tata Steel, Hindalco, IRB Infra);
- unleveraged corporates investing in new infrastructure opportunities (Adani Ports, Coal India, L&T); and
- companies benefiting from a lower subsidy regime (ONGC, BPCL),
- Its preferred plays include ICICI Bank, SBI, Ultratech, L&T and Maruti.
- Among the midcaps, it expects IndusInd, PFC, Ramco Cement, Jubilant Foodworks, JSW energy, Prestige Estates and Motherson Sumi
- The brokerage has replace Cairn India with ONGC in model portfolio. It has removed United Spirits and added to Ultratech and SesaSterlite to the list.
- It is bullish on reforms-based stocks such as ONGC, Coal India, SBI, L&T, Power Grid Corporation, Adani Ports & SEZ, Bank of Baroda, JSW Steel and Crompton Greaves
- It prefers Axis Bank, Hindalco, ICICI Bank, Lupin, Maruti, ONGC, SBI, Tata Motors and Wipro among the largecaps.
- In the midcap space, it likes Aurobindo Pharma, BPCL, DB Corp, Federal Bank, Gujarat Pipavav, IDFC, Info-edge, LIC Housing, Mindtree and Prestige Estates.
- It is bullish on Zee, Tata Motors, ITC, GSK Cons, RIL, ICICI, DRL, HDFC Bank, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, Grasim, Tata Steel, SesaSterlite, Power Grid and Tata Power.
Bank of America Merill Lynch
- ICICI, Axis, Yes bank, SBI, Bank of Baroda, PNB, PFC, REC
- 26 stocks you can invest in – Read details
- Axis bank, HDFC bank, ICICI, SBI
- SBI, Union Bank, Bank of Baroda.
- Axis bank, ONGC, Maruti, Tata Power, Tata Steel, NMDC, LIC housing, Shriram City Union, Bharat Forge, Cromptom Greaves, HPCL, Mindtree, IPCA, IRB, Future Retail, Sobha Developers
- 30 stocks you c an invest in – Read details
Read Other Posts
Rakesh Jhunjhunwala Latest Portfolio Holdings – May 2014
2014 – Top Large Cap, Mid Cap & Small Cap Stock Recommendations (for Medium to Long term)
Morgan Stanley picks up 0.6% stake in Indiabulls Real Estate
Macquarie buys stake in GATI from open market
Modi Effect – Brokerage’s Stock recommendations for Investment
Modi Effect – Invest in these 26 stocks – Motilal Oswal