Saturday , 24 March 2018
Home » News » Income Tax Dept to send notices to further 21.75 lakh “non-filers”

Income Tax Dept to send notices to further 21.75 lakh “non-filers”



The Income Tax Department has now performed the 2nd round of data matching and identified additional 21.75 lakh potential non-filers



The department had initiated a business intelligence project in February 2013 to identify PAN holders who have not filed I-T Return and about whom specific information is available in Annual Information Return (AIR), Central Information Branch (CIB) data and TDS/TCS Returns.

 The department has already sent letters to the 50,000 potential non-filers in the first batch..  The results of this initiative are very encouraging and 5,36,220 returns have been received from the target segment. Self assessment tax of Rs 1,017.87 crore, and advance tax of Rs 898.22 crore has also been paid by the target segment

IT dept has urged all tax payers to disclose their true income and pay appropriate taxes.


The information relating to the 21.75 lakh new non filers has been made available on the ‘Compliance Module’ on the e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department.

The information will be shown only to the specific PAN holder when the PAN holder logs into e-filing portal at

The PAN holder will be able to submit the response electronically and keep a printout of the submitted response for record purposes


If you have any queries related to this article or any other personal finance query ( Investment, Taxation etc), please comment below

About wealth18

The author is a Chartered Accountant and loves to write about Personal Finance, Wealth Management, Taxation etc. Disclaimer - The articles on this website is for informational and knowledge purposes and should not be treated as financial advice, Please consult your financial advisor before taking any investment decision.


  1. Hi Mr.Vivek,

    I am a non residential indian, for last 10 years. I too got a notice from income tax department for asking to file a return for last 4 years.
    I have a land and uncompleted flat on my name in india.
    I dont have any income generating sources other than some Fixed Deposits.
    Do i need to submit an IT return? If so how to do this? How to reply to the notice?
    Request your valuable feedback.


  2. Hi Vivek,

    This is siva, i didn’t file the ITR for 3 FY (2010-2013), If i wnats to cleare that, what should i needs to follow. do i need to check with any CA or i can itself do by online by paying itself. Please Advice. Thanks.

  3. Sir Can we file itr for F.Y 2012-2013 as individuals Form ITR 4 as someone wants file their return

  4. Sir,
    I am private tutor. I also receive some money from my son as gift on regular basis to run my livelihood. I have invested in equity and later sold equity and mutual funds but my total income from all sources are below the taxable limit.
    I have got a notice from IT Dept mentioning followings:
    1 2010-11 AIR-005 Paid Rs. 1,00,000 or more for acquiring Shares
    2 2012-13 STT-01 Purchase of equity share in a recognised stock exchange
    3 2012-13 STT-02 Sale of equity share (settled by the actual delivery or transfer) in a recognised stock exchange
    4 2012-13 STT-03 Sale of equity share (settled otherwise than by the actual delivery or transfer) in a recognised stock exchange
    5 2012-13 STT-05 Sale of futures (derivative) in a recognised stock exchange.
    6 2012-13 TDS-194A TDS Return – Other Interest (Section 194A )

    shall I reply that my income tax is below taxable limit. Plz suggest needful

    • Hi, Because you have all these share transactions, the notice is sent regarding non-filing of returns.
      As you cannot file the returns now, the only option you have to respond that return was not filed as income was below taxable limit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


6000 + Subscribers – Subscribe to our New Posts

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.