Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS) Mutual Funds are one of the popular 80C tax saving options for savvy investors. Read – Other Tax Saving Options u/s 80C
Quick Overview of ELSS Funds
- ELSS is a diversified equity mutual fund which has a majority of the corpus invested in equities.
- There is a lock in period of 3 years from the date of investment. You can remain invested even after 3 years and can withdraw anytime after that lockin.
- Returns are based on returns from Equity Markets. Returns from ELSS Schemes are tax free. Based on previous returns, some of the funds has grown 3 times in 5 years.
- There is no limit of investment in ELSS Funds, but you can claim Tax deduction upto Rs 1.50 Lakh under Section 80C of Income Tax Act.
It is always better to invest
- via SIP mode rather than lumpsum (for cost averaging)
- in GROWTH Option (for wealth accumulation)
- in DIRECT Plan ( to save costs & higher returns)
Top performing ELSS Mutual Funds – which you can consider investing in 2017
|AUM||1 Yr||2 Yr||3 Yr||5 Yr|
|HDFC Long term Advantange||1149||13.4||5.3||16.9||17.9|
|DSP-BRTax Saver Fund (G||1342||11.8||8.1||21.1||21.4|
|Birla SL Tax Relief 96 (G||2275||4.2||6.7||20.7||21|
|Reliance Tax Saver (ELSS) (G||5324||4.7||0.9||22.9||22.8|
|Axis Long Term Equity Fund (G)||9518||0||3.3||20.8||22.3|
|Franklin India Tax Shield (G)||2170||4.72||4.8||19.58||18.59|
|Wealth18.com updated on 31 Dec 2016|
Please note that above returns are annualised returns / CAGR).
Read my other post on – Best Mutual Funds to Invest in 2017
If you have any queries related to ELSS Funds, or any other personal finance, feel free to use the comment box below.